After spending hours scrolling through Pinterest looking up black, white, gray, and pale pink fashion, I realized my style was “French minimalist.” It’s amazing how everyone looks so elegant and so well put together with some very basic and simple items. So, I finally decided to move forward with it and took the first step in organizing my closet: created 3 piles.
- Love it and my style! Keep it! (Pretty much anything in a shade of black, white, gray, or pale pink)
- Want it! Maybe! (Expensive clothing that I don’t usually wear or really liked)
- Hate it and not my style! Donate it! (All other colors and/or itchy items that I couldn’t stand)
For anything in the “Love it and my style! Keep it!” pile, I bought new white wooden hangers to hang my clothes with (and I threw out all the plastic, ugly hangers). For anything in the “Want it! Maybe!” pile, I boxed it up and put it aside and after 3 months, I donated anything I know I could do without. Lastly, I donated all the items in the 3rd pile.
I remembered about half my apartment was covered in clothes that I didn’t normally wear or were too expensive for me to donate even if I absolutely hated it. Boxing those items really helped me feel better about donating it, because I didn’t miss it nor feel guilty about not wearing it every time I walked into my closet. After making the donation, I felt a billion times better and my closet actually looked gorgeous with the shades of color fading into each other. How beautiful would your closet look if it was something like this???
I went from who knows how many pieces of clothing to 67 items (not including workout clothes or coats). I absolutely love all 67 items and can easily mix and match pieces without having to check the mirror a billion times or second question myself about what the F I’m wearing!
Want to make your closet look like Pinterest and figure out your style??
- Start with Pinterest and pin any fashion items that you gravitate towards. Doesn’t matter what items, if you like or love it, then pin it!
- Organize your pins into styles and determine which styles have the most pins (french minimalist, bright colors, neutral colors/tones, luxury clothing…).
- For the category with the most pins, spend a few more days searching that exact category and see if you really love the style or if it was just a phase. Repeat steps 1-3 as needed to determine your style.
- Go into your closet and pull items that reflects that particular style and use it as the base for the “Love it! Keep it!” pile.
- Donate any items that you straight up just hate.
- Box up anything that you had a hard time parting with and don’t worry about how much money you originally spent on it. Wait 3 months before going back and then determine if you can part with it. Donate it immediately!
- Buy some really nice hangers to showcase how much you care about your new style!
- Admire your new closet!
- Lastly, this is the absolute hardest to be disciplined on, but only buy new clothes that reflect your new style and invest in basics!